In present days, we are not limited by borders or currencies to send a gift to our friends or family members who live abroad. Birthday, Christmas, anniversary, or whatever the occasion is; sending a gift abroad is probably on your international shipping agenda. Sending gifts abroad is not like sending gifts locally.
There are a few basic things that you have to consider before you plan to send a gift by international shipment. You must check the destination country and what items are allowed and which are not allowed as gifts. You also have to check the custom requirement for shipping internationally. Moreover, you have to decide whether you would send the gift via courier or use international gift delivery websites.
What You Can & Can’t Send Via Courier
In most cases, food and drinks are at the top of the list when we are talking about sending gifts abroad. Thankfully, the rules of shipping food abroad are simple and you can send food to most of the countries around the world. However, you have to ensure you don’t send anything classed as perishable. Perishable foods can spoil during transit so there are some basic criteria –
1. Foods must be in the original manufacturer’s packaging.
2. Food packaging must be sealed and not tampered with in any way.
3. Food labels must list all ingredients.
4. Foods must have a shelf life of longer than 6 months from the date of shipping.
5. All foods that have a shelf life of fewer than 6 months will be classed as perishables, and cannot be sent via courier
How To Send Gift Via Courier
If you want to send the gift via courier then you have to make sure your gift is ok to send via courier. Now check the shipping details for that particular gift item. You should choose a delivery service based on the time that you want the gift to be shifted to the recipient. So it is wiser to pick a courier service that matches your requirements and budget. For example, if you need urgent delivery then Express service is ideal for any time-sensitive, last-minute deliveries to anywhere in the world. If the package is less urgent then economy service is perfect. If you are sending the gifts during a national celebration like Christmas then you have to be aware that national holidays affect delivery times. So check the delivery deadlines to ensure your gift arrives on time.
How To Package A Gift For Shipping Abroad
When you are sending gifts abroad, packaging plays a very important role. To ensure the safety of the product you have to pack it properly. Below are some tips that will help you pack the gift item correctly.
1. You should use a new box to transport your gift. It will provide maximum protection for the product.
2. Don’t use any type of gift-wrapping as the outer packaging; you can use them for inner packaging.
3. You can use a gift bag, which will survive a possible customs inspection.
4. You must keep the gift item in the middle of the box then use packaging chips or newspaper to fill in any leftover space.
5. If you are sending small items then make sure you wrap them individually and you can use a ‘two-box’ method for the highest protection.
6. You should reinforce the hinges and flaps with packaging tape for added protection.
7. Attach a copy of the shipping paperwork on the outer packaging of the package.
8. If the box has any unused bar codes or labels then you should remove them so that the shipping staff won’t become confused by which barcode to scan or label to check.
Types Of Gifts That Ship Internationally
There are many types of gift items available that ship internationally. E-commerce and shopping websites now allow you to make purchases at your convenience. Let’s check them out!
E-commerce Goods: Nowadays there are many E-commerce websites available that allow you to make purchases with local merchants and ship gifts globally. You can pick a gift from a wide range of products that includes clothing, accessories or household items, etc.
Food: Food is always welcomed in different cultures around the world. You can buy food items from many local bakeries, pastry shops, and cake shops and then send them abroad as a gift item.
Flowers: If you want to send roses, daisies, or lilies or an eye-catching bouquet then find a local or online flower shop to order and it will arrive at the doorstep of the gift recipient.
Gift Baskets: You can send different types of gift baskets that include Candy & Chocolate, Cookie Bouquets, toys, Corporate Gifts, and many more.
Tips For Sending Gifts Abroad
1. Check the destination country because different country treats gifts differently. For example, many country countries allow duty-free/tax-free for shipment of gifts if their value is less than a specified value.
2. Every country in the world has its own list of item that is allowed and which is not allowed as gifts. So make sure you check the prohibited items of the country where you want to send the gift.
3. You should also check the courier services because many courier services also have their own list of items that they don’t allow. The common items are alcohol, flowers, glass, tobacco items, perishable food items, and many more.
4. You have to fill the customs form of the country where you want to send the gift. You can check the customs website of that particular country to know about the requirements of the gifts you can send.
5. When filling the custom form, make sure you include all the details about the gift item and specify everything clearly about the contents to avoid any further hassle.
6. Don’t forget to add the monetary value of the gift in custom form because the import fees depending on the price of the gift item.
7. Choose the courier service according to your requirements. You can choose professional courier services like UPS, FedEx, USPS, and DHL and can track the progress of the shipment.
8. You can also use international gift delivery websites. This is more convenient compare to courier service because here you only have to choose the item and the rest will be taken care of by the company.
9. If you are shipping something valuable then you can consider buying insurance for the gift item.
10. Don’t forget to include the instructions for carriers. It will help the handling person to know how to treat the package.
11. Don’t include or send any perishable food items because international shipping takes a lot of time and it might take more time than the expected time. So, the food item might spoil during transit.
It’s a wise thing to include the return address in the gift package. So, in case there is any problem with the shipping then you will get the gift back rather than losing it forever.